The Border

The Border

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Visit #18: Tuesday, July 22, 2014: 5:43 PM

ON THIS EVENING I WOULD HAVE MY VENGEANCE.  I WOULD SET MATTERS ARIGHT.

My apologies for the drama, dear reader.  However, I felt a strong need to make amends for failing to bring sufficient appetite "to the table" for the previous installment of my Live Mas adventure.  I left a side of Pintos & Cheese unfinished -- indeed, untouched.  My shame was palpable.  From this day forth I vow never to make another such error whilst indulging at the Border, be it due to either poor judgment ("eyes-bigger-than-stomach" syndrome) or insufficient intestinal fortitude (eating like a pussy).  You have my word, dear reader!

Item #41:  FIERY DORITOS LOCOS TACO SUPREME



I had been saving this particular menu selection up for a long time...I had a strong suspicion that I would absolutely savor the experience of eating it:  the Fiery Doritos Locos Taco Supreme.  After all, I had thoroughly enjoyed both the Cool Ranch and Nacho Cheese Doritos Locos Tacos.  And so this would complete the Doritos Locos Taco trilogy...

Without further ado, the official Border website description:

"A Taco Supreme made with premium seasoned beef, crisp lettuce, diced juicy red ripe tomatoes, real cheddar cheese and topped with reduced-fat sour cream, in a shell inspired from a regional spicy Doritos chip seasoned with spices and lime."

Price:  $1.79

Taste:  8.0 (out of 10)
Value:  7.0 (out of 10)
Overall Score:  7.8 (out of 10)

Let me first be clear here:  this was a rather successful execution of the crunchy taco format.  But it was not a leaps-and-bounds improvement (in my opinion, obviously) over the basic Crunchy Taco Supreme.  The shell of this taco was apparently "inspired from a regional spicy Doritos chip seasoned with spices and lime," whatever the hell that means.  I took it to mean that it would be spicy.  This was not correct.

The shell was not unpleasant, but it was a bit on the bland side -- at least compared to the two previous iterations of Doritos Locos Tacos that I had consumed.  (It is definitely "The Godfather III" of the Doritos Locos Taco trilogy.)  It could have benefited tremendously from just a bit more salt and lot more heat.  Seriously, where does the Bell get off calling this thing spicy?  It's probably not even one of the 5 spiciest items I have tried thus far.

Once one is able to get past that revelation, it is still a more flavorful choice than your typical Crunchy Taco shell.  It is certainly tasty and a decent value.  It just could, and should, have been so much more.


Item #42:  PINTOS & CHEESE



And with that, the time had at last arrived to face my nemesis:  a side of Pintos & Cheese.  The chance had come about to finally erase the shame associated with my legacy.  The opportunity had arisen to prove that I was not a complete wuss.  (You get the picture.)  I had ordered only a Fiery Doritos Locos Taco Supreme in order to make certain that I could finish on this evening.

From the Taco Bell website:

"Hearty beans, tangy red sauce, and a three-cheese blend."

Price:  $0.99

Taste:  7.5 (out of 10)
Value:  8.5 (out of 10)
Overall Score:  7.8 (out of 10)

The verdict:  VICTORY!  I successfully finished the fairly delectable side of Pintos & Cheese.

Let me report that this is a truly respectable portion of vittles for $0.99.  Once again the red sauce came through in a big way -- it's been on a bit of a roll lately -- lending that trademark tang in spades.  The beans were near-perfect texturally, and the cheese was spot-on.

Taco Bell has been known to incorporate small bacon "bits" in a handful of lunch/dinner items as well as a heaping helping of breakfast selections.  They would work PERFECTLY here, but sadly, they are absent.  I would gladly pay $1.19 (a 20% price increase) for Pintos & Cheese with Bacon.

In its current form, however, this is a hearty little snack.  Kudos to the Border for a winner here.

(FYI...I think if I were homeless -- and i.e., of extremely limited means -- this would be the perfect menu choice from Taco Bell.  Big protein, big substance, warm sustenance, great flavor, and all for $0.99.)

The receipt recording tonight's VICTORY:



I leave tonight's meal with a feeling of vindication.  Good night, dear reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment